Dr Kimme Hyrich MD PhD FRCPC
Reader in Rheumatic Disease Epidemiology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 1679
Arthritis Research UK Centre for Epidemiology
Centre for Musculoskeletal Research
Institute of Inflammation and Repair
The University of Manchester
Manchester Academic Health Science Centre
Room 2.809 Stopford Building
PA - Gillian Amroon - Telephone - 0161 275 5044 - E-mail - Gillian.Amroon@manchester.ac.uk
I am a Reader in Rheumatic Disease Epidemiology in the Arthritis Research UK Centre for Epidemiology, part of the Centre for Musculoskeletal Research. My main research interests are in the short and longterm outcomes in adult and childhood inflammatory arthritis, including a greater understanding of the role treatments play in these outcomes.
I am also an Honorary Rheumatology Consultant at the Kellgren Centre for Rheumatology, part of the Central Manchester Foundation Trust.
Additional roles include Deputy Director for the MRes Medical Sciences (for intercalatintg medical students) and Epidemiology Module Lead for the MSc in Clinical Rheumatology.
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- British Society for Rheumatology (BSR)
- American College of Rheumatology (ACR)
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh)
- British Society for Paediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology (BSPAR)
- Paediatric Rheumatology European Society (PRES)
Epidemiology and biostatistics including analysis of longterm observational cohort studies.
- Supervision of higher level degress (MRes, MSc and PhD)
- Manchester Medical School - Academic Advisor
- MRes in Medical Sciences - Deputy Programme Director
- Epidemiology Module Lead - MSc in Clinical Rheumatology
I completed my Bachelors of Science and medical degree at the University of Manitoba in Canada. This was followed by training in internal medicine in Winnipeg, Canada and a fellowship in rheumatology at the University of Toronto. I subsequently worked as an Arthritis Society of Canada/CIHR Research Fellow at the Arthritis Research UK (formerly arc) Epidemiology Unit in Manchester, being awarded my PhD in 2005. I am currently a Reader in Rheumatic Disease Epidemiology at the University of Manchester and an Honorary Rheumatology Consultant at the Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK.
My main research interests centre on outcomes in inflammatory arthritis, with a particular focus on pharmacoepidemiology. I am a principal investigator for the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register (BSRBR), which is prospectively collecting information on all patients receiving biologic therapy for a rheumatic disease throughout the United Kingdom. Work from this project has assessed the real-world efficacy of anti-TNF agents for rheumatoid arthritis as well as predictors of response and the risk of adverse events, including infection and myocardial infarction. My research in paediatrics includes the Childhood Arthritis Prospective Study (CAPS), an inception cohort which is studying both short and long-term outcomes in children diagnosed in the UK with juvenile idiopathic arthritis and 2 biologic registers in children: the Arthritis Research UK funded Safety and Efficacy of Biologics in Children (Extended Biologics Study) and the BSPAR Etanercept Register, which is focusing on the short and long-term safety of the use of biologic drugs in children with arthritis.
I supervise a number of PhD and Masters students working on these and other projects.
- Bachelor of Science (1992) - University of Manitoba, Canada
- MD (1996) - University of Manitoba, Canada
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (General Medicine and Rheumatology) - 2000
- PhD (2005) - University of Manchester, UK
Collaborators and affiliated staff
- Deborah Symmons (Manchester)
- Anne Barton (Manchester)
- Wendy Thomson (Manchester)
- Michael Beresford (Liverpool)
- Eileen Baildam (Liverpool)
- Lucy Wedderburn (London)
- Joyce Davidson (Glasgow)
- Helen Foster (Newcastle)
- Kath Watson (Manchester)
- Chris Deighton (Derby)
- Anja Strangfeld (Berlin)
- Angela Zink (Berlin)
- Johan Askling (Stockholm)
- Loreto Carmona (Madrid)